Mrs. J Might Wander But Now Someone is Watching

Victor
By -
0
First, I want to thank those who posted comments below my article about Mrs. J. I truly appreciate you effort and kindness.

I believe if a community like this one can get together, surely it can happen in our own neighborhoods. I felt the pastor speaking to me last Sunday, and knew I had to follow the direction I was being led—which I did, with your help. Thank you.

Following is an update of what has transpired since I wrote the article about Mrs. J.

By Rose Lamatt

Previously--What if Mrs. J Wanders Away and Ends Up Dead?

First, I called the Alzheimer’s Association, where I heard a recording telling me to leave my name and number. Later when called back, I told the volunteer what we had noticed about Mrs. J’s behavior, and thought something should be done.

She told me the Association doesn't act in such situations, and only provides information about the disease. She suggested I call Florida Abuse Hotline (part of Children and Family Services).  I did and spoke with a woman, telling her of my concern. She asked for Mrs. J.’s phone number, address, and then asked if this person was without food or clothing. That’s when I went into my ‘rant’.

“I don’t know. Doesn’t it matter that this person is wandering the streets alone, cannot comprehend or converse, and will probably get lost in the woods or something worse?”

I was told ‘yes’ and that someone would be sent to Mrs. J.’s home. I made sure I wrote the woman’s name and ID number down before hanging up.

This morning I received a call from a man from Children and Family Services (CFS) letting me know they had checked out Mrs. J.’s situation. “A grandson will be staying with her now,” he told me.

I asked, “All the time? What happens if he needs to go out?”

“She’ll go to a family member’s home, she will ‘not’ be left alone,” he told me.

‘Hallelujah’ I shouted--I think the man thought I was nuts.

I then asked him how he knew this would not change. He said they would check in, unannounced, from time to time. I thanked him for acting so fast, and he thanked me for reporting the situation.

I’m not sure if Mrs. J. has an ID bracelet, but I ‘will’ find out. I know from experience that this type of Alzheimer’s person is going to walk, with or without her grandson there.

She reminds me so much of my friend Carol--she also suffered from Alzheimer's. I cared for Carol for 14 years. She would run out the door every chance she got, and I’d run after her.

I think my biggest regret is that the Alzheimer’s Association couldn’t handle this alone, and sent me to CFS. To me Children Families Services has too many people to watch over as it is.

However, I do believe where there is a will, there is a way, and together we can change things.

Now, I'll hope and pray that things work out for the best. Only time will tell.
Subscribe to The Alzheimer's Reading Room--via Email

Popular articles on the Alzheimer's Reading Room

Just a Word: friends encounter Alzheimer's

Rose Lamatt is an author and a citizen journalist. Rose first learned about Alzheimer's while caring for her dear friend Carol for 14 years. Rose is experienced in adult day care, assisted living, and Alzheimer's support. Her wealth of experience led her to write Just a Word--Friends Encounter Alzheimer's. Rose is a writer/contributer to the Alzheimer's Reading Room.
Original content Rose Lamatt, Alzheimer's Reading Room

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)