Pat Robertson Ignorant About Alzheimer's

Victor
By -
0
"The person suffering Alzheimer's is gone, gone, they are gone ... I know it sounds cruel but he should divorce her and start all over again" -- Pat Robertson

By +Bob DeMarco 
+Alzheimer's Reading Room

Pat Robertson,
I am not familiar with the teachings of Pat Robertson, I don't watch the 700 Club, but before I get into it I am interesting in learning if Pat Robertson advocates divorce? Perhaps some of you can inform and educate me by using the Add New Comment box below this article.

If you know members of the clergy perhaps you could ask them if they would be interested in commenting, or submitting an article on this issue to the Alzheimer's Reading Room. They can contact me by using the contact page. The link to the contact page is in the upper right hand corner on the navigation bar.






I'll start by turning to the words of Judy Berry. Judy is the founder of the Dementia Care Foundation, and the Lakeview Ranch.

Judy deals directly with those living with dementia, and with those that die from end stage Alzheimer's disease and dementia.

Judy wrote a wonderful article for the Alzheimer's Reading Room entitled, I Am Still Here.

Judy might be the foremost expert in the world on dementia patients. She certainly is an expert. Judy writes from direct experience. In the article she wrote,

"NEVER GIVE UP communicating with those with any type of dementia, even long after they are not able to communicate in our world.

Just two days ago I was able to teach a dying man's sister he was Still In There even though he was in the midst of his final journey".


For those of you that have not read Judy's article I suggest you do so. I would also suggest that everyone consider emailing that article to Pat Robertson and also to family and friends.

You can click the link to the article and then use the share button to send the link to the article via email. It is very easy to do.

This issue is controversial, consider sharing.

As you know, it is my strong belief that there is "More There" when it comes to persons living with Alzheimer's or dementia. My mother Dorothy, now 95 years old, is a person living with probable Alzheimer's disease. She teaches me each day, even though she was diagnosed seven years ago, that there is in fact -- "More There". I am not the only one that shares this believe.

I am confused and outraged by Pat Robertson's comments. He is issuing a "free pass" to those who want to walk away. In fact, he is encouraging them to walk away.

As you know, I believe caring for a person with dementia brings with it a lifting of the spirit, and sometimes wonderful feelings that are difficult to describe. I am not saying it is easy. I am saying it is uplifting and often brings out a dormant spirituality that resides in each and every one of us.

Without knowing them, I can say I admire and respect each and every dementia caregiver.

I can now say that I cannot respect Pat Robertson. Ignorance is not an excuse. Pray for him.

If you missed the video, here it is.



If you don't see the video go here.



More Insight and Advice for Caregivers


Bob DeMarco is the Founder of the Alzheimer's Reading Room and an Alzheimer's caregiver.

Original content Bob DeMarco, the Alzheimer's Reading Room

The Alzheimer's Reading Room operates for the benefit of society.

Alzheimer's Reading Room is the number one source of life news, health, and memory loss information for the entire Alzheimer's and Dementia community worldwide.

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)