Dotty, Alzheimer's Disease, and 2010

Victor
By -
0
For me, I would have to say this has been a wonderful year as it relates to Dotty. I should also add that this has been a wonderful year as it relates to the readers of the Alzheimer's Reading Room....

By Bob DeMarco
Alzheimer's Reading Room

I am sitting here wondering the same thing I wondered at the end of 2009 -- will Dotty still be with us at the end of this next year, and will she still remember me?

I wonder about her condition.


At the end of 2009 what I envisioned happening was very different than what did happen.

Dotty really had a remarkable year.

There were several things that stick out from this past year. I'll keep this short by mentioning two experiences.

First, we had that remarkable period during weeks 6-18 in the Dimebon clinical. Right up until the Dimebon clinical trial was canceled, and the rug was pulled out from under us.

For those of you that were here during that period, you will remember hearing from Dotty. Dotty was "more there", more alive, and more engaged than I could ever have imagined. It was really remarkable. 12 weeks.

Here is the article I wrote about those 12 weeks -- Dimebon - 12 Wonderful Weeks - The Miracle that was Ours.

As circumstance would have it, it was the period directly following the end of the Dimebon clinical trial that also stands out in my mind.

On morning in May, Dotty woke up sick. She could barely communicate and she couldn't walk. I had to get a wheelchair to get her to the doctor. I wrote about my worries here on the blog and then something happened that I could never have expected. Before I could get back to the computer I had over 120 emails of encouragement from readers of the Alzheimer's Reading Room. I also received many comments below the article.

I really can't say in words what this meant to me. I was overwhelmed. I can say this, these emails of encouragement and prayer brought to me with them enormous strength. I remember waking up the next morning we this renewed strength. I felt I could handle the situation -- no matter what was going to happen. You empowered me.

Fortunately, after about three weeks mostly in a wheelchair Dotty started to bounce back. I actually had to teach her how to walk. This is a long story. It worked. Unfortunately, Dotty had more difficulty walking since that episode. She often gets stuck in space and can't move.

As you saw in the videos, Dotty can walk, and still talk. Dotty is not on a walker, and she isn't falling.

We are still living our life.

There is no doubt in my mind that each and everyone of you play an important role in Dotty's care. You keep me sharp. You fill me with energy and determination. You teach me. And, you help me learn.

You are my support system.

By the way, Dotty received a parrot for Christmas. Next week, you'll get a chance to see Dotty and her parrot via video.

Your comments are welcomed down below in the Add New Comment area.



Subscribe to the Alzheimer's Reading Room

Enter your email address:


Alzheimer's Disease -- Advice and Insight


The Alzheimer's Action Plan

 

The Art of Dementia Care



Original content Bob DeMarco, the Alzheimer's Reading Room

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)